Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reflective Blog Entry #3

Thoughts about action research as a tool to improve practice

I think action research in a wonderful tool for the classroom teacher. In trying to improve practice it brings research into the classroom and out of the realm of big research projects. It helps a teacher pinpoint a need in her classroom and search out a solution for that need. It provides a way for a teacher to take a problem, analyze it, devise a solution, test the solution and collect data. Then the data can be analyzed to either prove the solution acceptable or revise the solution and try again.

As I prepared to do my action research plan, I spoke to and drew from the experience of several teachers. I did not have to depend on my experience alone. Their knowledge increased the background information I needed. Action research can also provide a way for collaboration to occur not only between teachers, but also with students. It can provide ways for input from invested parties.

Ideas generated as a result of the project

There were numerous ideas generated as a result of the project. First of all in researching solutions to the problem of increasing the vocabulary of ESL students, I came across different ideas that didn’t fit in with my project but would improve my practice none the less. I will be soliciting the parents to help increase time spent reading at home. I am also devising an after school tutoring program where older students can help the ESL students with homework during the time they are all waiting on the bus.

Another idea generated is that the ESL students will benefit form increased exposure to vocabulary words. This is especially true if that exposure comes before the rest of the class begins a new reading lesson. This exposure gives the ESL students knowledge they can draw from when they work with the native speakers in the class and increases knowledge. I can provide that increased exposure for my students. Also, I can work with them in a small group where there is the opportunity to explore words in a way that cannot be done in the regular reading group.

Because I am working with first graders, I had not considered using writing to help build vocabulary. At the suggestion of an experienced teacher, that became a part of my plan. My findings show that with the experience of writing these new words in an explicit situation, the students began using the words in their journals. They were able to use these new words in their writing.

Suggestions to other ESL professionals based on the findings

One suggestion I would give to other ESL professionals is that time spent on building vocabulary and especially in a pre-teaching situation is time well spent. My findings showed the students demonstrated an increase in fluency and were more willing to interact during the reading lesson. It was also easier for them to stay on task as the discussions made better sense to them.

Also, collaboration with the classroom teacher can help to map out differentiated instruction for ESL students. The needs of the students can be better addressed if both teachers work in concert.

MTSU Honor Statement:
This assignment/assessment was solely written by me. In no way have I plagiarized (represented the work of another as my own) or otherwise violated the copyright laws and academic conventions of fair use. I know that violations of this policy may result in my being dismissed from Middle Tennessee State University and/or appropriate legal action being taken against me. Signed (submitting this statement to Teaching Faculty with student's name typed below constitutes signing):

Gema Sieh, October 13, 2010

1 comment: